A one-on-one mentorship opportunity
For years Playwrights’ Workshop Montreal (PWM) and the Centre des Auteurs Dramatiques (CEAD) have worked to forge links between French and English language theatre communities and foster the art of theatre translation. To this end, the two organizations have once again partnered together to offer an individualized mentorship meant to familiarize a playwright to the craft of theatre translation.
How the mentorship works:
- PWM will select 1 participant with an interest in French to English theatre translation.
- Over a period of several months, the participant will translate excerpts (roughly 10-12 pages) of two contemporary Québécois plays selected by the CEAD.
- Over several weeks, the participant will receive a total of 12 hours of dramaturgical support from an established translation dramaturg.
- The participant will have the opportunity to discuss their translations with the original playwrights.
- The mentorship will culminate in two 4-hour workshops during which professional actors will read and discuss the newly-translated excerpts.
- After the workshops, the participant will submit their final drafts of the translated excerpts to the CEAD.
Who can Apply?
- Montreal-based playwrights with a strong interest in French-to-English theatre translation.
- The candidate must have excellent writing skills in English and have fluent comprehension of Québecois French.
- Playwrights with little to no experience in theatre translation are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have a minimum of two professionally produced pieces or Fringe productions.
Please note: If you are a member of the CEAD and are interested in applying to the English-to-French component of this project, please visit the CEAD’s website for application details.
Send your application to documents as well as any questions you may have to Harris Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is Friday, November 8th at noon.
Please include the following documents in your email:
- Your artistic CV and/or bio.
- A brief cover letter outlining your interest in this mentorship and in French-to-English theatre translation more generally.
- November 8th: Application deadline.
- November 13th: Participant selected and provided with exceprts
- November – March: Several meetings with translation mentor, translation of excerpts and meetings with playwrights.
- Before March 6th: 2 x 4 workshops of translated excerpts
- Before April 5th: Translated excerpts of texts submitted to CEAD.
This mentorship is presented in partnership with:
With financial support from: