Dates: September 23, 24 & 25 (3-day workshop)
Heure : 9:30 AM – 5 PM (Including a lunch break)
Location: PWM, 7250 Clark #103, Montréal, QC.
Presented in collaboration with Le Centre des auteurs dramatiques (CEAD), this 3-day workshop is led by prolific German theatre translator Frank Heibert. The workshop, which will include group discussions, theoretical lectures and translation exercises built around specific case studies, is aimed at emerging to mid-career theatre translators.
Guiding questions will include:
- How do you find your characters’ voices?
- What are similarities and differences between translation and adaptation?
- In cases where a translation is commissioned for a specific production, should the translator’s vision take priority over the director’s vision?
The practice of working off of a word-for-word translation in collaboration with a translator fluent in the source language will also be discussed.
Participants are encouraged to bring in a translation project in progress. However, translators not currently working on a project are also encouraged to apply. The target language of these projects can be French or English, and the source language should ideally be one of the following languages: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian or Portuguese. Participants’ projects will be discussed in detail and will help to determine the topics of the workshop.
The workshop will be led in English and French, depending on the needs and fluency of the participants.
- Send applications to email@example.com with the subject line Exploring Practice with Frank Heibert.
- Please attach the following three documents:
- The translation project that you plan on discussing during the workshop: please attach roughly 10 pages of both your translation and the original script as well as a brief synopsis of the piece. (Excerpts of the translation are not mandatory, but applications containing excerpts will be prioritized.)
- A letter of intention (1 page maximum).
- An up-to-date CV.
- Application deadline: 11 AM on June 28, 2019
About the Instructor:
Frank Heibert lives in Berlin and has studied literature in Germany, Italy, and France. Since 1983, he has worked as a translator of literature from English, French, Italian and Portuguese into German. From 1990-1995, he was the co-publisher of his own small publishing house Zebra Literaturverlag. He has also worked as an editor, a speaker, a critic and a professor at Free University of Berlin. He is a member of PEN International, the worldwide writers’ association and is the winner of numerous literary awards for writing and translation.
He has translated over 95 novels and story collections by, among many others, Don DeLillo, Richard Ford, William Faulkner, Boris Vian, Alfred Jarry, Marie Darrieussecq, Yasmina Reza, and Raymond Queneau. He has also translated roughly 110 plays, by playwrights such as Tony Kushner, Neil LaBute, Nicky Silver, George F. Walker, Jonathan Garfinkel, Terrence McNally, Martin Crimp, Yasmina Reza, Italo Svevo, and Lina Wertmüller as well as Quebec playwrights Michel Marc Bouchard, Suzanne Lebeau, and Olivier Kemeid.
PRESENTED IN COLLABORATION WITH:
THIS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY IS MADE POSSIBLE BY: